Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Thread: RPM question
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2016, 03:41 AM   #4
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghoticov View Post
....cut....

I am running about 1800RPM at 60mph and 2000RPM at 65mph. I just filled up my tank and it says "551 miles to empty", that would mean the coach has been getting about 6.8 mpg on average (80 gallon tank). That sure seems low being that it is running at such low RPMs on the highway.

Thoughts?
Your observed RPMs are not consistent with 2011 or 2012 Ford specifications for the chassis Thor used on the 2012 Hurricane 30Q. The Thor Hurricane Catalog shows the 30Q being built on 16,000-pound F-53 chassis with 190-inch wheelbase. And according to Ford specs you should be running higher RPMs at 60 or 65 MPH. It's possible you could have taller final gearing than what is standard, but that's not very likely.

Regardless, engine RPMs is a poor way to estimate fuel economy because it doesn't reflect how hard the engine is working (there isn't a direct correlation). Your V10 may get 8 MPG at 2,000 RPMs, but in my van would likely get around 16 MPG at same 2,000 RPM. Engine RPM makes some difference, but what's more important is how hard the engine is working.

By the way, I also like the 30Q because it's one of the last Class A motorhomes made without a slide, so I've done quite a bit of research on it. I expect you should get at least 8 MPG at steady 60~65 MPH on Interstate if not running generator. If you get much less than 8 MPG, I would certainly appreciate you reporting your actual MPG.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum