Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2021, 07:57 PM   #29
Beau388

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLP View Post
For Direct TV the Winegard Direct TV Trav'ler RV Satellite system ( which is out of stock even at Winegard ) is the only way to get HD for Direct TV. I have it and a portable which is SD and the tripod for the few times a tree blocks the clear path to the southern sky. You do have to have a receiver in your rig. When switching from the roof mount and vise versa, you have to change the setting in the receiver for the dish you are using.
Not quite. There are portable Slimline reflectors with your choice of SWM LNBs that are mounted on tripods that can receive all DirecTV channels in the Ku, Ka and RB frequencies for around $150 including 200 ft of coax. Ebay and Solid Signal have several versions. These are portable and are aligned manually. You do require a signal strength meter to do the fine alignment.
I use the Sat Finder application on my cell phone to find a suitable place and approximate pointing direction. My Satlooklite signal meter powers the LNB, so no need to turn on the receiver or run the coax, yet. The meter will only lock-on to the specified satellite. It takes about 20 minutes to assemble the broken-down antenna, find a location and setup and align the antenna. Finally is the antenna is not within 30 ft of the coach, I have to use one or more of the five different coax extensions I also carry. Back in the coach, I turn on the receiver and wait about 5 minutes for the receiver check the antenna communications and download the program guide and the season passes. Really, it is a lot less complicated than setting up a 3 inch sewer hose for gravity drain, IMHO. I use my home's genie 2 as the receiver and my wireless clients in the coach. All the required power supplies are hard wired in the coach. The genie 2 is paired with my Pepwave Max Mini so the Internet is available for the enhanced search and on demand functions.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum