Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 08-03-2021, 11:59 PM   #7
terencgb1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #15798
Draw Latches during road trips

I have owned multiple vans and done multiple van conversions over the years. An ongoing issue has been keeping the draws closed while going down the road and I've tried lots of different options with different outcomes. As I have rebuilt almost all the cabinets in the Vegas (more on that project later but the originals are such poor quality and unnecessarily so!) I am again faced with the same old problem. As the problem I am solving is 'how to keep the draws closed going down the road' I wanted a solution that would not impact how the draws feel when we are parked as that is most of the time that we use the draws. The typical RV brute force latch wasn't an option. I went for a baby latch that I could "turn on and off". The latch of choice is Skyla Homes Magnetic Child Locks and you can order a pack of 12 for about $20.00 on Amazon. I like these for three reasons. 1. The magnets are strong and operate through 1/2 inch or 3/4 inch plywood draw fronts, 2) you can actually cut the left or right 'wing' off them, so they go in the corner of the draw out of the way and 3) They are stick on with adhesive pads but are robust enough to drill and screw if you have a really heavy draw. . I included a couple of pictures so you can see how I fixed them in a corner and on an open face. Cheap, easy and functional.

Total Mod Time is about 15 minutes per draw (including cutting off a wing)
Mod Difficulty is 2 our of 10 - you need a hacksaw
Helper needed 0 - Although DW approval is always good!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-08-03 at 4.56.18 PM.png
Views:	71
Size:	969.1 KB
ID:	32523   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-08-03 at 4.56.30 PM.png
Views:	61
Size:	870.8 KB
ID:	32524  

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum