Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2021, 12:14 AM   #15
Judge

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillbox View Post
Question:
Is there supposed to be a little flex in the cabover?
If screwed down tight, will it transfer the energy to the next weakest part?
The top seal, side seals? Anywhere the front cap is seamed?
I’m no way an engineer, but these are questions I have.
Asking for a friend, I’m not smart enough.
Terry

Ps more interesting pics combing of the cab chassis.

There is going to be some minimal bounce / flexing from normal driving but it can be worse on bad roads.

My issues was not the mount at the cab roof (although they repaired it as well because I told them there were many instances of the screws coming out at the headliner in the older Super C's). My issue was the cap mounting at the sides of the house.

I believe some of these issues are being cause by the use of Auto-Level. Auto-Level tends to over-use the jacks, which can lead to twisting and torquing of the body. I stopped using Auto-Level as a result. I place three small levels on the center of the floor (front, middle and back) and then manually level gently based on what I see.

Because Thor has been using screws that are too small.... not enough screws.... plus the gorillas on the floor have their screw guns set at max torque and often strip the screws.... the twisting and torquing from Auto-Level puts significant strain on the screws. Those screws eventually break or pull free. You will then see the molding on the sides of the coach at the front cap start moving and lifting.... or you will see screw heads trying to push through the molding.

Ultimately, they have made these cab-over front caps too large. The further the cab-over sticks out past the winshield, the more susepctible it is to bouncing and flexing. This ultimately puts more stress and torque on the attachement points.... and if the cap is not secured properly, it is only a matter of time until the crappy screws start to let go.

That's why I suggested using a metal backing plate on each side and bolting things down and using the sealant I mentioned in between all of the layers.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum