Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2021, 02:05 PM   #30
dkoldman

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
So I think the answers should prolly be restated related to the way the questions was phrase by OP.

OP asked...
I'm not sure if this is normal or not, but when I go to start my gasoline Onan 4000 genny, it cranks for a good 10-seconds before it finally lights off. Is this normal, or is there something I should do to fix it?
and...
Interesting. During my walk-thru with the dealer, he told me to hold it until the light comes on. I also noticed that the light goes back out after several seconds of holding it. I assume there's a pressure switch in the fuel line that stops it once fully primed, but I'm just guessing.
I would say "No" it is not normal the way the genset is intended to be used by the manufacturer (Onan) as there is no pressure switch in the fuel line. If Priming is required, you simply have an out of gas condition due to low or no usage.

The above also explains why I have never had to Prime, but I once recall my RV was at a Dealership last summer in Texas during Covid for 2 months. Unless they ran the genny while there (not likely), or primed before I picked it up (not likely), mine continue to start with no issues or delay.

To OP:
My AGS was installed by Authorized Dealer after I bought the RV. I remember working with Onan directly on what is required (parts wiring etc.). If you call them one thing that they made emphatically clear to me is that the #1 reason for failures of generators is due to low usage. To prove it they stated as long as I had the EC-30 installed by an Authorized Dealer, they would extend the warranty tied to Genset because in their words customers that own and use the EC-30 systems; had significantly fewer repairs or call in questions. I have never had a warranty issue with either the Onan 5500, or the EC-30. But Onan does return phones calls on questions about it's operations and the programming of the EC-30 (The Manual is pretty good though)

Like the Duck; I use AGS when traveling, but in AUTO mode; so it fires up if the rear of the coach starts to get warm, even though I may be okay up front

At least one weekend a month while at home when I plan to use it, I will put in AUTO mode. Go turn off the breaker for Shorepower as to simulate a loss of power. I marvel to see and hear the Genset kick on, and both ACs fire up automatically. I will let it run at least 2 hours before I do the reverse which is simply turn the Shorepower back on. The Genset will then turn itself back off. As I have said many times, it is my favorite toy on the RV. I use it all the time (7 hrs / month on avg). None of the above impedes me from also using my two 125AH AGM Batteries; when I don't have shorepower or generator available.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum