Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2021, 02:52 AM   #17
plastrd

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite 24HE (24F)
State: Michigan
THOR #17874
Ordered up those 24x18 mud flaps and cut them down to the same width as the originals by scoring and snapping.
This is on the passenger side since the driver side one is still holding up for now. I wasn't quite sure how I wanted to handle bracing so it wouldn't just get blown back into the tire again. The side wall is all rusted and destroyed from the original cross brace having been screwed into it and pulling out a couple times.

The original flap had only an inch of overlap with the vertical wall it was screwed into and with the screws so close to the edge, it was basically just a hinge that let the flap.. well, flap. Keeping the screws in the same place but adding 4" of overlap by sliding it up allows the flap to help brace itself and I turned the cross brace vertical for extra rigidity and put a third screw through it into the wall.

With it all reattached it feels much more solid and difficult to pull back toward the tire. It ends now at the bottom edge of the wall instead of several inches lower which lowers the wind profile that would push it back as well.
Hopefully this holds up but if I see it flexing, my next step is to replace the brace with a fresh piece of thicker steel and/or add some angle iron to brace the brace.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210808_220755.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	146.1 KB
ID:	32681   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210808_221821.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	32682  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210808_222828.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	113.0 KB
ID:	32683  

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum