Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2021, 06:36 PM   #5
Beau388

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campnjoe View Post
So I have been thinking about some of the A/C upgrades, especially the ones that enclose the output side of the unit. The wacko silencer and the rv airflow modifications in essence create a box for the output side. This causes, in some cases, higher pressure as the air is forced out the ducting. My question, since I am not a mechanical engineer, is due to this higher pressure, will it increase the wear and tear of the fan or any other part. I would hate to make things more efficient only to cut the life of the unit in half. Thoughts anyone?
Fan theory states: the weight of the air moved and the pressure delivered equals the work done or HP required. As stated, the problem with most roof systems is the turbulent flow between the fan outlet and the ducts. If you decrease the turbulence flow (move to laminar flow), you decrease the restriction and increase flow. Increase flow requires more energy, but the removal of restriction lowers the pressure and decrease the energy required. Just be clear there is much more energy consumed to force air (increase in pressure) through a duct with turbulent flow as compared to the same duct with laminar flow. Since the air flow is three dimensional, the relationship is logarithmic.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum