Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2021, 06:40 PM   #11
jbreeder

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Traveler 30 A
State: Texas
THOR #21497
Quote:
Originally Posted by morrow157 View Post
I an a new owner of a Thor 29KW and wondered if running the generator while driving is ok. The kids like to have power to the outlets but I wasn't sure if it is a good idea or not? Also, do I need to be cautious of how much I use the generator? I'm not sure what the useful life of a generator is so wasn't sure how much to limit it's use. My second question is how important are the surge protector and water filter for hooking up at a campsite? It does have a tankless water heater so I was told I should try to run soft water through it to avoid hard water buildup, but that may also be a separate issue. Thanks in advance for any help for this new guy!
yes, you can run it while you are driving. sometimes the back end can get very warm.

Onan generators can last a long long time if you maintain them. I have an Onan 5500. oil change is supposed to be every 150 generator hours. Plugs every 450.

If you run it while you are driving, those hours mount up fast.

I use water filter to fill the fresh water tank and with water hookups, only because I don't know what junk might be in the water source. I don't have a filtration system.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.