Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2021, 09:47 PM   #57
dkoldman

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post

I suspect the Onan does not have any inline check valves and the small bowl of the carburetor is easily emptied by driving and evaporation when the generator is not being used: hence the need to almost always prime the generator before staring. I would also suspect that if you dug into the circuitry and operation of an AGS that it does have a priming function that runs prior to simply starting the generator. I don't know that for sure but if I was designing one for an onboard generator that's the way I would do it.
Can we play this out? I have always been perplexed by the threads on this topic and never understood why so many have to prime. You and Beau388 have stated probably 95% of the reasons so that it now clear to me. It is clear now that they are out of gas; so the question is really why and is it a function of poor design?

But...

Reference your comment about AGS priming before starting. See my post #18 and the pictures above.

In the EC-30 design, the AGS sends the same start signal as the standard remote. So the Genny does not know if the remote is telling it to start, it's onboard switch, or the AGS. For the Genny to Prime it comes from another wire signal (Stop) that is continuous.

But lets say somehow it did know and Primed every time before trying to start anyway. Wouldn't priming every time the AGS called the Genny eventually cause other problems like flooding? It would also Prime every time you manually pressed start because it is sending the same signal to Genny.

I am going to guess that coaches like the 29M that have the genset close to the gas tank (within 4 feet) don't have this problem (phenomenon) if they use their Genny at least twice a month. But if I had coach that had an AGS that had this issue and would not AUTO START until after I manually started I would be pissed It makes me wonder if the Firefly system is advanced to know when it is called to start; to check the last runtime and decide if to prime before trying.? If not, that is the design I would target.

I will say this... every THOR coach I seriously looked at had a AGS system; and they all worked flawlessly to me (although that Magnum thing I would have hated based on what I know now). The AGS was the one thing my SOB coach did not come with from the factory; and it was something that I came to appreciate from TMC (especially the Firefly); and why I absolutely had to have.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum