Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2021, 11:50 AM   #29
Muggs

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #5313
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Still waiting on somebody to tell me what is a bad 15w 40 or 30W oil that meets all of the API specifications?

I think my genset only needed like a quart of oil, I will change every year and sometimes twice a year if I just want 30w over one summer.

We are talking about an Cummins Onan Generator. They have tried to tell everyone in the nicest way possible that there is NO reason (benefit) to use a Synthetic. This is akin to why some folks insist on putting a higher Octane gas in their Car when the Mfg has told them there is no need to, but some feel like they are doing their car a favor by spending more money. In some cases, spending more and makes it worse.

Now I do use fully synthetic in my cars, but that is what the books says. It is not that complicated. If you think about it, there is a REASON Cummins Onan is not endorsing Synthetic oils in their generator engines, and it is not because they didn't invest in Synthetic oil companies So versus just saying out right DO NOT USE, they simply say THERE IS NO BENEFIT but that is not clear to all
Good post. Though pulling a trailer with e450 v-10, in hotter weather there is a propensity to rattle (ping/detonation) some. Since there is no knock sensor, leftover pump premium goes into rv tank. Moving from Memphis to Ashboro NC, used mid grade and unit performed flawlessly on 6% grades.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.