Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 08-26-2021, 05:02 PM   #2
DavidEM

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy View Post
On an Axis/Vegas, do I understand correctly?

Battery Switch in Off/Store position this disconnects the coach batteries from the house. And it disconnects the house batteries from the chassis battery.??
It may be different on a newer Axis like my 2021, but on it, the only circuit that is disabled with the battery switch is the circuit to the converter. The circuit to the generator start, solar panels and to the BIM which can connect to the chassis battery are all still enabled.

So during winter storage, any solar power that may be hooked up will charge the coach batteries, and then if the chassis battery voltage drops below the trigger voltage of the BIM and the coach battery voltage is high enough, it will connect and keep the coach battery charged.

You might want to read up on how the BIM works, a copy of their data sheet is attached. Here is the pertinent text:

The BIM monitors the battery voltage of both the chassis and coach batteries over long
periods of time. If it senses a charging voltage, it connects the two batteries together. If the
charging system is drastically overburdened, the batteries will be isolated, however, if the
BIM sees a long term charging of both batteries it will allow the batteries to remain connected
and allow the charging system to do its job. Once the batteries have charged for one hour, the
BIM will isolate the batteries to prevent overcharging, and will only reconnect the batteries
for charging if one of the batteries drops to approximately 80% charge, and the other is being
charged. This long term monitoring of the batteries prevents the annoying relay clicking that
exists in simpler isolation modules today. The BIM does not guarantee 100% battery charge,
but prevents harmful battery charge levels.

Now the foregoing is all theory on my part. I haven't confirmed it in practice but I will this winter.

Hopefully others will chime in and confirm or correct my understanding.

David
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Precision Circuits BIM 160-Rev7-1.pdf (711.5 KB, 30 views)

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum