Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2021, 06:29 PM   #6
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post
It could mean only that Thor is consolidating lines to deal with supply shortages. The two remaining Axis models are both E350 chassis based. The discontinued ones were E450s.

I am obviously prejudiced as I have a new Axis 24.1. Best layout for this short Class A IMO. I hope that they keep it.

The only path I can see is a more rugged model- higher clearance, more solar and Lithium batteries installed, all to compete with Winnebago's Ekko. At $50k difference in MSRP there is a lot Thor could do to match the EKKO. 4WD won't be easy but I could live without it.

David

David, the difference in MSRP is $30,762 comparing base units. EKKO is listed at $163,662 and Axis $132,900. I don’t know if Winnebago EKKO requires as much discounting, but MHSRV discounts Axis 25% to +/- $99k in present ads.

EKKO includes large lithium battery, 455 Watt solar, 2,000 Watt inverter/charger, 2nd dedicated alternator, AWD, much more insulation, dual pane windows, etc. that makes EKKO better suited for 4-season and or off-pavement adventures.

Axis on the other hand is larger, has a small slide, and a lot more room. Plus it costs considerably less.

It’s like comparing apples and oranges to some degree. Having said that, Thor could try building a smaller Axis since larger floor plans don’t seem to work out well long term. In my opinion it would not take much effort to design and build an Axis in the 23-foot long range like the EKKO.

Whether a smaller Axis/Vegas the size of an EKKO would have market appeal is anyone’s guess. I think Thor should not compete directly with EKKO, but could try a lower-cost “touring” floorplan similar to 24.1 but with standard 158-inch WB (save cost of stretching) and slideless. Like EKKO and Tiffin Wayfarer, elevate twin beds and add bike/gear garage. Smaller size could not only reduce cost, but reduce weight and thereby increase OCCC.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum