Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Thread: New Ford V8 MPG
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2021, 04:31 PM   #18
DavidEM

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
From a careful reading of the above posts and posts elsewhere on the subject, the new V8 seems to get as much as 1 mpg better mileage than the old V10.

For example I have never seen any postings that say that an Axis with the V10 will do 12+ mph on a flat interstate at 60-65 mph. Mine will.

Why can mine do that? Well: 1. Higher gearing which means the engine runs slower and therefore doesn't eat up as much parasitic power. 2. Two less cylinders which also minimizes parasitic losses. 3. Timing and valve overlap optimized for the 1,000-2,500 rpm band.

The above won't be as important for a 20,000 lb coach with the lower gearing, so maybe the big gassers won't do quite as well, but I suspect some.

David

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum