Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2021, 01:05 PM   #2
DavidEM

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
Solar panels are so cheap, I would go with a 100 watt panel and an inexpensive PWM controller. You can buy these two items on Amazon for about $100, a Newpowa solar panel for $80 and a Renogy 10A PWM controller for $20.

If all you want is storage trickle charging then you don't even have to permanently mount them, which adds a lot of labor and some cost to do so. I prop a solar panel up on the south facing back bumper at an angle to get most of the sun's energy but also to shed snow.

I also have a rooftop mounted panel (that gets covered by snow) that is connected to a 10A controller and then to the battery. You can do the same, just don't install the controller permanently. Run the wires from the solar panel outside to the controller set inside the compartment where the batteries are located and then to the batteries. Most MHs will also charge the chassis batteries if the coach batteries are being charged.

But having the solar panel and controller permanently mounted is also useful to keep the batteries topped up after a camping trip. This takes mounting feet, a solar port to run the wires into or run them down the refrigerator vent.

Good luck with your choice.

David

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.