Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2021, 07:13 PM   #174
JamieGeek
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post
Not sure how and if the 2021 Axis 24.1 is any different from the others, newer or older since I didn't read all of these 172 posts (so far) but here are the details of how to do it on mine. I just got through doing it.

You first dump the fresh water tank by turning the white plastic ball valve that is in a line that comes out of the tank and goes downward outside. My fresh water tank and pump are under the passenger side bed but other models than the 24.1 are different. Also make sure that your black and grey water tanks are empty. Now is a good time to flush the black water tank with the Sani T Flush, a wand stuck down into the toilet or just a water hose with a spray attachment. See more about this at the end.

Look at the two pics attached. The first is a close up with the red arrow pointing to a three way valve (almost invisible) and the yellow arrow pointing to the antifreeze suction fitting. With the water pump off, turn the three way valve 1/4 turn. This shuts off the pump from the water tank and allows it to take suction from the antifreeze fitting. That fitting has a 1/2" NPT plug in it which you remove. You can barely see it at the lower left of this pic.

Then get a 1/2" male npt x 3/8" hose plastic hose barb adapter from your hardware store and about 3' of 3/8" PVC tubing. Attach the adapter to the hose barb end of the tubing with a small hose clamp and screw the fitting into the blue female 1/2" fitting where you removed the plug. Then set a gallon of pink RV/marine antifreeze up above and put the free end of the tubing into the jug. This is all shown on the second pic.

If you have a tank type water heater you have to turn the bypass valves to avoid filling up the entire 6 gallon water heater with antifreeze. I have the Girard tankless water heater and it doesn't need bypass valves (although Thor in their wisdom installed them on mine).

Then turn on the water pump and open the cold side of kitchen sink fixture. You should hear the water pump come on and after 4-5 seconds you should see pink antifreeze come out. Do the same with the hot side which will take a bit longer since the flow path includes the water heater or its bypassed fittings.

Do the same with the lavatory fixture, the inside shower, the toilet flush and the outside shower. Pour about a cup down the kitchen sink, the lavatory and the shower to make sure the traps are full of antifreeze. Pour maybe two cups down the toilet. This takes about two gallons of RV antifreeze to do the whole system. Remove the tubing and replace the plug when you are finished.

When I dumped the grey and black water tanks for the last time, I left the valves open when I came home from my last campout. This assured that as much stuff as possible was out. Yes, I probably dumped as much as a gallon of black waste on the road but remember I had thoroughly flushed them with water as I dumped. I found that a couple of cups had come out when I winterized, about as much antifreeze as I put in. This let me feel that I had the two tanks empty and also fully winterized. I left the valves open afterwards.

My Axis is now fully winterized and I feel confident that I won't have any freezing problems.

When I dewinterize in the spring, all I have to do is turn the 3 way valve back 1/4 turn, shut off the fresh water dump valve, fill the tank with water, turn on the pump and flush out the antifreeze. Even though I used two gallons I would definitely flush about ten gallons through the system to get all residue of antifreeze out.

David
The very first post is how to do it on a 24.1 (well a 2014 24.1 LOL)
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum