Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2021, 03:14 PM   #14
Chateau_Nomad

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
So... I'm rethinking my "tentative" decision to not put a cover on the RV for "Ohio winter" storage this year.

I researched my rear-end off about cause and prevention of fiberglass gelcoat oxidation. Most of the answers I got pertained to fiberglass constructed watercraft with a gelcoat topcoat. ALL blame points to exposure to the sun's RV radiation. Since fiberglass RVs are basically the same construction, one can expect the same UV damage potential.

The OVERWHELMING answer for prevention? When not in use, store your boat/RV either COVERED, or in an area completely protected from the sun. While many products claim to "help protect" from UV damage, the science is in the surface of the gelcoat itself, NOT in a "UV blocking" chemical contained in the product.

The science is that when the surface of gelcoat is glossy, it reflects radiation - to a degree. BUT, it is just a matter of time until the gelcoat begins showing the porous/chalky appearance that is oxidation. I found NOTHING other than preventing UV exposure to prevent gelcoat oxidation.

Bottom line is that I purchased our RV to use and enjoy, so it WILL get UV exposure to some degree, which is expected. But KNOWING how to best prevent it is key. I take pride in keeping our motorhome looking as new as possible, and keeping it "oxidation free" as much as possible. Regular waxing greatly helps in cleaning efforts... road grime and bugs are much easier to remove.

Knowing what I NOW know, and the work involved in removing oxidation - I'm definitely going to cover my motorhome this winter. It's an absolute P.I.T.A., but MUCH LESS of one than scrubbing oxidation!

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum