Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2021, 09:44 PM   #5
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philo Gemstone View Post
I've been contemplating various ways of implementing an inverter in my rig, and here's what I've settled on:

Mount a 2000 watt inverter to a wooden board and hard wire the AC output to a female 30 amp receptacle, also mounted to the board.

Two pairs of battery cables, one pair from the batteries and one pair to the inverter, with quick connectors.

To use, I would position the inverter just under the battery well, flip the breaker on the converter, connect the shore power cable to the receptacle, quick connect the battery and turn the inverter on. The RV now has all AC devices powered. Obviously, I'm not going to run the air conditioner, but everything else should work. Sound reasonable?

I assume I'll need a separate quick connect pair for the AC ground connector, right?

Anything I'm missing? Fuse protection, maybe?

For a temporary setup, why the board? Is it just to secure it? Or why the 30-Amp female receptacle?

Many inverters come with a 20-Amp (or a couple of them) receptacles, so unless you’re planning to operate close to 2,000 Watts for long periods, why not use an adaptor? A 2,000-Watt inverter is rated under 20 Amps.

If you plan to use much power, your batteries won’t last anyways. Your microwave may run for a few minutes but if longer, you might want to start generator instead. For low power loads like electronics I don’t see why it should not work.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum