Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2021, 03:52 AM   #16
dkoldman

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
So... I'm rethinking my "tentative" decision to not put a cover on the RV for "Ohio winter" storage this year.

I researched my rear-end off about cause and prevention of fiberglass gelcoat oxidation. Most of the answers I got pertained to fiberglass constructed watercraft with a gelcoat topcoat. ALL blame points to exposure to the sun's RV radiation. Since fiberglass RVs are basically the same construction, one can expect the same UV damage potential.

The OVERWHELMING answer for prevention? When not in use, store your boat/RV either COVERED, or in an area completely protected from the sun. While many products claim to "help protect" from UV damage, the science is in the surface of the gelcoat itself, NOT in a "UV blocking" chemical contained in the product.

The science is that when the surface of gelcoat is glossy, it reflects radiation - to a degree. BUT, it is just a matter of time until the gelcoat begins showing the porous/chalky appearance that is oxidation. I found NOTHING other than preventing UV exposure to prevent gelcoat oxidation.

Bottom line is that I purchased our RV to use and enjoy, so it WILL get UV exposure to some degree, which is expected. But KNOWING how to best prevent it is key. I take pride in keeping our motorhome looking as new as possible, and keeping it "oxidation free" as much as possible. Regular waxing greatly helps in cleaning efforts... road grime and bugs are much easier to remove.

Knowing what I NOW know, and the work involved in removing oxidation - I'm definitely going to cover my motorhome this winter. It's an absolute P.I.T.A., but MUCH LESS of one than scrubbing oxidation!
Certainly a cover has it's advantages. In your case the PITA factor may not be as large if you intend to store for entire winter?

But since you referenced boats... attached is the cover I have for my 2017 Yamaha Limited. It is an $800 OEM Cover made by Yamaha and fits my Boat like a Glove. No chance of it flapping anywhere, My boat is stored outside in the Sun not far from my RV. Note the design of the cover? It does NOT cover the entire the boat and the sides are always exposed to sun. I have only used Meguiars Premium and the Meguiars #56 on the boat. There is ZERO signs of any Oxidation on my boat. My cover keeps leaves and rain out, allows the boat to breathe and for excess heat to escape. I guarantee, if my boat was not waxed properly the gelcoat would have the failures / damage stated by UV. My science is my proof of experience of a 4 year old boat. (Actually I have had other boats stored outside as well) My RV is now 2 years old. I may be wrong but my guess is that if it were outside in Ohio, the only difference would be it would be under snow or ice more than in Texas?

But I can take it a step further, I can send you picture of the side that faces the sun 100% of the time for 4 straight years and you cannot see or point out a seam line where the covered portion of the boat meets the uncovered portion of the boat.

https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-Limite.../dp/B015TNSPS6

I can put the cover on / off in 10 minutes. I can honestly say that I have never thought of the cover as to protect gelcoat, I do think of it as aiding with keeping the insides of the boat from weathering. i.e. rain, leaves, pollen, dust, snow, leather seats, dashboard upholstery material, controls, LED screen material etc.

Note: I am not saying one should not use a cover. Quite the contrary, I am saying proper waxing will protect your gelcoat from damage that can be caused by UV.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum