Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2021, 03:01 PM   #4
Beau388

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by RACarvalho View Post
Hello,
I'm trying to identify if the batteries in my coach are shot or not.
They are the original batteries that came with the coach - 2 x 27Ds - and are ~ 1 1/2 year old.
As this is my first MH, I did deplete them 100% a couple of times by mistake...

Here is a load test I did to have an idea:
W/o load the voltage was 13.6V (after 1 week on shore power) with shore power connected.
I turned off shore power then I turned the furnace, all the lights and 3 TVs on and the voltage dropped to 11.5V.
I waited 5 minutes and the voltage was steady 11.5V.
AS far as I know, 11.5V is a discharged battery...

Is this normal or my batteries are shot?

Also, in ~ one year of ownership I saw 14.4V (Bulk charge) only twice... Is this normal or another indication the batteries are shot?
I ask this because the MH is at home, connected to shore for one week and the voltage is kept at 13.6V (bulk?)

If these batteries are shot, I'm thinking on buying 3 x VMAX XTR27-110...
Any feedback on these batteries or recommendations on good batteries?

I'd like to have 3 x group 31s but Thor welded the battery trays and they can't hold anything bigger than group 31s...

Lithium is out of question.

Thank you very much for any input!
Generally anytime lead acid batteries are left discharged for any length of time they will not recover. Even discharging to below 11.6 volts for several times will seriously degrade their useful life. If you are buying lead acid batteries, the weight determines the batteries capability in amp-hrs. For house batteries, you need deep cycle or marine batteries because you want a battery that can deliver a steady voltage at a low current flow without decreasing the battery's life.

Battery choice is dependent on use, personal preference and maintenance. I prefer low maintenance or no maintenance batteries to conventional flooded batteries. Remember not all no maintenance batteries are AGM and there are many VRLA flooded batteries and many low maintenance batteries (lead alloyed with calcium instead of antimony). If you do not dry camp for long periods or store the coach for long periods, flooded batteries will work fine if you keep them watered and don't discharge them below 12.1 volts resting.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum