Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2021, 12:00 PM   #17
chunker21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Back to the XG32

I don't disagree with the assessment above of poor work ethic of the line workers and zero forward looking management work ethic. Live for today, or maybe this moment and forget about the future.

But back to the Omni. Thor is an entry level builder of RVs especially those with Thor on the side. Other nameplates, Keystone, Airstream, now Tiffin, supposedly operate independently but I would suspect the thor bean counters will weigh their heavy LQC (low QC) hand if costs aren't within what thor wants. Being an entry level builder thor puts in less and cheaper materials. Toilet is an entry level and poor bowl design/shape. I'll be replacing with a Dometic 310 or 320 soon. Showers flimsy and not supported well. One here replaced his and some of us reinforced the underside. Furniture is a bad design. I pulled out the "incliner" theater seating and replaced with Recpro. My butt and back thanks me. Tacky front bumper instead of going with a better Ford bumper like the Renegade Veracruz. I suspect they have usable fog lights. Air conditioning ducting using styrofoam channel that has poor integrity instead of metal HVAC ducting like the Nexus, Renegade and even my GF's Crusader 5th wheel.

Paragraph break so this is readable. Little to no insulation in the front cap. Single pane windows. At 1/4 million $$$$$ dual pane should be standard. Girard WH is bottom line and water and waste tank waster. Typical RV mattress, see $$$ comment above.

Where does thor excel?? Interior design. I've said and saw others say, if thor put anywhere near the budget and care into structural design and application that they did in interior design, they would have the best RV product on the market. What sells?. Bling, colors. floor space flow, appliance placement. My GF, who tends to be a form over function type loudly states that RV manufacturers need to put women in charge of the esthetics design, not men. I'm a function guy so we don't see quality in the same way or things. I look at the bones not the skin, the function not the pretty covering, etc.

The XG32 has a very usable interior except some things noted in my earlier post. The cabinets are real wood and the design and finish is nice. Real wood will last longer and screws/hinges last longer than composite materials such as MDF/particle board/etc. The kitchen appliances work well with the 2 burner propane stove, induction burner and micro/convection. Could use more counter space but the XG32 at 33.5' just doesn't have the room. I don't want a 40'+- RV again. The XG32 has a shorter main slide than the other floor plans but still too much weight in it with the kitchen appliances. I won't have a full wall slide in spite of how much it "opens up" an RV. Plenty of bedroom storage and closet space. For the length a good amount of kitchen storage also. Interior plan nicely done.

With an RV everything is a compromise with thor you accept a nice interior design and realize the structure wasn't the top priority in the design. If Winnebago Ind. made a smaller "super C" on the F550 or Ram 5500 chassis I would have leaned that way, but they don't. Yes Renegade does and everything is a compromise. Whether the Omni/Magnitude line is for you is your decision and it will work out if you go into it eyes wide open, have some basic do it yourself skills, and check very carefully any RV before signing on the dotted line.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum