Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2021, 04:27 PM   #16
RACarvalho

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34R
State: Indiana
THOR #19887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
I have 200 watts of solar on the RV roof. In Ohio, the sun currently is at an extreme angle from the south - not even close to being directly overhead. Even so, I'm getting almost 5 amps into the batteries. With fairly heavy overcast I still get around a constant 2 amps... PLENTY to keep the batteries "healthy".

I did not install solar as a replacement for traditional battery charging (Shore power, generator, coach's alternator). It is merely a supplemental charging source when NO DRAIN (other than normal self-discharge) is placed on the batteries.

Mainly it's a storage solution - providing PLENTY of amperage to keep the batteries fully charged/cycled when the RV is sitting idle, or in winter storage. The alternative was to run an extension cord to the RV and use a battery maintainer.

If you're only getting .3 amps from a 100 watt panel (in direct sun), I would suspect there is an issue with your solar installation. I would check cabling, etc., because the numbers don't add up.
So you paid for 200watts and you are getting 60watts ~ 30%
Your numbers match mine in percentage.
I park by my house and I do have an independent 20A battery charger/maintainer in the battery bay that I connect via cable to my house but my initial idea with solar was that during summer that 100W panel could keep the batteries in shape w/o me having to deal with the power cable...
It can't so that is where I'm coming from.
It is also useless for winter storage since I keep the MH under a cover during winter....
So, for my use, it is useless.
RACarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum