Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2021, 02:09 AM   #11
petef

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Nevada
THOR #970
my 30 years of observation "The Tire Doctor"

I never saw this model of Michelin tire, it had not been invented before I retired from the tire business after 30 years in. I saw lots of tires, and 1/3 were big truck tires like the 22.5 size. We sent all for Bandag retreads 2 or 3 times. I have seen many 10 -15 year old tires, and 99.95% were not blown out because of old age. My customers hauled timber. They tortured the tires with their logging trucks driving shale roads. We sold and fixed massive skidder tires also.

the pictures: The stress cracking parallel to the bead, that is normal. Michelin was the top of the top, most expensive you could buy, but performed for the money spent. That cracking mid way up sidewall , never seen it before. Both Michelin and Goodyear add "stuff" for oxidation/UV protection in the sidewall rubber ( Your tread rubber is entirely different) making me wonder if they need to remix that "stuff"...

I repaired 1000's of tires, well, my shop, but I had my share. We repaired gashes 5 in long and holes quarter size on tread, cut the bad stuff out, put reinforced patch inside, fill hole on outside with rubber and cook the repair for a certain time period in a mold. I was amazed at how many went thru the rest of their treadwear. Tires were expensive, we fixed for 15% cost of a new one. Now the big shops won't even plug a tire, heck, they refused to rotate my Jeep tires because 2 have plugs in them ( 2 years and 12,000 miles ago) liability to them as they recommend buying 4 new tires because they can't match the other 2.. This is about as BS as you can get..

Big if, and where would one find data on tires that actually blew out from this upper casing cracking...

But maybe the outside even if somewhat superficial, the treads have 1/2 or more, I would put them on the rear if you normally drive 65 and under. And keep new ones on front.

https://www.michelinrvtires.com/tire...dle-a-blowout/

Then there is this 6000 mile out story: https://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/22-5...out-62382.html

This was my first reaction:
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/mic...ed-451676.html

But that was an inner tire and looks damaged to me, not casing cracking.

But I agree with this. Blow out are all about air pressure, not age of tire. https://www.crossingcreeksrvresort.c...-tire-blowouts

Ok, I hope this clears up questions.

I just replaced my Goodyears 19.5s with Cooper Roadmaster RM170+
I noticed a softer ride within 200 ft. I did seem a little more harder to steer at first towing, tail wagging, but adjusted air to 90, a few more miles on them and all is great. The soft ride is so nice!

Peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BASSMAN View Post
Cracks in the sidewall of a Michelin are very common and are not covered under warranty if they were still in the warranty period, number one reason I would not put a Michelin tire on anything, wile road hazard warranty will cover most if not all blow outs who wants to go down that road, I check tire pressure every time before I hit the road and I run mine up at 80 psi for the E rated tires, I like Made in America and will only go with an American made tire

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum