Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2021, 05:56 PM   #5
Chateau_Nomad

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
Are you adding more so you don't have to run the generator/ags ever? You'll Reasonably never have enough solar to run the a.c. or an electric heater for any length of time.

Except as a interesting hobby, I can't find a use for solar(in a vehicle with an engine or generator) other than long term storage parking where solar keeps the batteries from draining and the fridge running.

Maybe I need solar and haven't paid attention enough.
Unless you have unlimited roof real estate to mount solar panels, and an unlimited budget... I think it's a frivolous experiment to consider solar as a PRIMARY power source. With today's battery/energy technology, solar is nothing more than a supplemental backup to existing charging sources.

I know there are exotic class B vans that are 100% solar based, BUT they have made many compromises - and are UBER EXPENSIVE compared to legacy motorhomes. There are fan boys who disagree, but realistically the proof is in the numbers.

Here's a typical sample for energy needed to run ALL the RV systems without skimping - what I would call legacy use. Your usage might vary depending on how much you compromise due to conserving energy resources - which is typically needed in those "factory off-grid solar" advertised class Bs.

Let's start with the MOST desired option... running that A/C. So, let's figure a setup that could run your 15,000 BTU A/C for maybe 5 hours. And this is ONLY the A/C running - nothing else.

Add up the cost of 75-100 kWh capacity of battery storage. Then, calculate how many 250 watt panels you would need (at average of 1 kWh per day of electrical power generation) to replenish those kilowatt hours each day. Solar panels cost an average of $1 per watt today. Name brand lithium batteries which can store/supply 12 kWh (100 AH) are about $750 each ($63/kWh).

10 batteries @ $750 = $7,500
75 250 watt panels = $18,750

Let's stop there... 75 solar panels??

And I haven't even considered the additional $$$ charge controller, wiring, inverter, converter, transfer switch, installation charge...

Note that this is about what you'd need for a home solar based charge station for an EV... provided you have relatively sunny conditions.

If you follow technology, there are 12 volt mini-split A/C units starting to show up, which are MUCH more efficient. LED technology has become the norm in RVs, so I'm certain that a surge of A/C unit efficiency will soon become the norm.

I think a trend towards greater efficiency/lower power usage in RVs is the answer - instead of trying to supply power to legacy A/C units, ultra-efficient 12 volt systems are needed. Then install multiple low-power units (4?) in the RV - and only use what is really needed. The initial downside is $$$, but with mass production come lower prices.

Currently, my 200 watts on the roof are all I need, whose sole purpose is to keep my 125AH battery bank topped off. It's merely a convenient "back-up" which supplements shore power and occasional generator usage.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.