Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2021, 01:20 AM   #9
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamokadave View Post
Its an Omni Super C on the f-550 chassis. Equipped with 2 alternators and 2 batteries. I have no idea if all is somehow linked together or dedicated to house vs cab. I've never seen the Ford specs for what Thor orders, but the basic 550 has a single 332a alternator.
I was very disappointed to see such low current flowing from the converter. I checked the model and believe its a WFCO 8930/50. I need to read the specs for that.
I did see it wired through a 15a breaker and assumed I could expect up to 1800 watts A\C which in DC is a fairly high current.
It's obviously not such a simple concept

The base F-550 332 Amp comes from dual alternators and not a single one. They are rated at 175 and 157 Amps for the combined 332 Amps. Given the greater surface area and cooling potential of two alternators I would not worry too much about 100 Amps unless it was extremely hot under the hood.

The 15A converter power is likely designed for no more than 80% of that as maximum steady state, and since converter is much less than 100% efficient, the maximum power that it could supply to a battery bank is probably under 80 Amps. Converters rated at 80 Amps are often meant to be used on 20 Amp circuit. Regardless, the much lower charging rate you are seeing is not being limited by the 15 Amp AC circuit in my opinion.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.