Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2021, 12:45 PM   #8
Judge

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
This is one of the reasons why I replaced the Schwintek Slide Mechanism with the Vroom Slide System.... the lousy and weak setscrew design.

The setscrew can often back out far enough.... or even shear off.... such that the motor will start lifting out of the bearing block when retracting. One of the design changes with the Vroom Mechanism is that the motor is bolted down with 4 bolts vs 1 flimsy screw.

In most cases the setscrew can and does go through the outer wipe-seal plastic base. From there is threads through a thin piece of aluminum that is part of the H-column. About an 18" of screw goes through the slot in the top of the motor to secure it in place, which is a joke for large and heavy slides and the amount of torque generated when extending and retracting.

The problem with this design is that the aluminum is so thin that only a couple threads actually can bite into the aluminum and it is easy to over-tighten and strip the aluminum threads.

My factory setscrews were Phillips pan head screws... the lack of attention to detail during assembly would not surprise me if they aren't using a standard screw across all coaches.

You could use a sheet metal screw. Your biggest concern is the length. If the screw is too long, it can hit the motor shaft at the top of the motor. Once you have the right screw length just make sure it bites securely but don't over-tighten it. As I said there is not much aluminum and it can easily be stripped.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum