Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2021, 11:18 AM   #8
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke D View Post
Hey Chance great to hear from you. Hope you and your family are well.
I guess I should have mentioned Doug. He has a 2020 Jayco 34G with the new F53 Chassis and 7.3 V8. Traded a 2018 V-10 Jayco 34G. He’s so ticked off at the mpg I didn’t go there. Guess I should of. His best was 7.6. His 2018 V-10 always got 8.5 to 9.
Then again his worst experience was waiting six months in the shop after 2400 miles waiting on new wires and coils. Looking at Ford’s own Godzilla issues , wether Super Duty or Motor Home , besides poor Mph, the electrical problem with the Chinese Spark Plug wires and coils is a well dock issue. As I mentioned I’m sure Ford will fix any issues in time. Also mpg should jump with the eight speed. Although owners of Super Duties on the forums say mpg is still poor. Time is the test, reliability is what we all seek.
Happy thanksgiving
Thanks Luke, and happy thanksgiving to you and your family.

I’m on second V10 and it has well over 200,000 miles so not complaining at all, but it’s all relative since engine is only moving a small van with about 50 square feet of frontal area instead of 100 square feet; hence it’s no surprise my V10 can still get 16 MPG if I drive at typical motorhome speeds. It’s the small size and low weight of van that doubles my fuel economy, not the engine. My previous V10 moved a compact Class C and I got 8 MPG.

By the way, there is no Ford truck 8-speed transmission that I’m aware of. The newer Super Duty pickups have 10 speeds, while heavy trucks and motorhomes have retained the previous 6 speed 6R140. I seriously doubt the newer 10R140 would improve fuel economy very much on a large Class A. The new 10-speed is more useful on a pickup which sometimes runs empty and other times pulls a 30,000-pound trailer. Motorhomes don’t have that much swing in weight or aerodynamics, so gearing can be selected in advance to be very efficient even with a 6-speed transmission.

I personally like the retro pushrod V8 design and would prefer it over my V10 any day even though I don’t own one.

As matter of history, the V10 was a huge engineering compromise that came about because Ford had to build a large truck engine based off their 4.6L SOHC car engine. They increased deck height, stroked it as much as possible, added two cylinders, and a balance shaft to reduce vibration. Granted that it’s durable, in large part because it doesn’t make much power.

P.S. — New V8 is much faster revving engine than V10; Ford just cuts off power at 3,900 RPM on commercial and motorhome applications. Otherwise, its maximum power is above the V10’s redline.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.