Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2016, 04:41 PM   #90
JamieGeek
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance
I'm curious how toggle bolts work on outside walls. I was under impression that outside walls are made with insulation between aluminum framing which is then laminated (vacuum bonded????) between the inner and outer wall surfaces.

When you drill through outer wall's inner surface, does the block insulation allow the toggle bolt to open OK? Do you have to open up a hole in insulation?

As I understand various descriptions above, it sounds like shower rod is supported solely off inner-wall surface. This is of interest to me because I thought that material was much thinner than it must be. If it can support a cantilevered shower rod it must then be able to support other items one may want to attach off walls.
There is aluminum framing on the outside walls but that framing simply consists of aluminum studs spaced throughout the walls. If you don't happen to hit one (like I didn't) then you're left dealing with the wall board, insulation, outer wall sandwich.

The insulation is Styrofoam. When I drilled into the wall I pulled out a bunch of insulation. I believe the toggle bolts on the outside wall opened up as I could feel the screws tighten down (my suspicion is that they opened up and compressed a bunch of the foam down against the inside wallboard).

The wallboard is very thin, probably about 3/16" or so. I wouldn't try supporting anything very heavy. The ARC is solid aluminum and not very heavy--the shower curtain we put on it is much heavier than the ARC itself.

Normally when I attach things to the camper wall I use wood screws dipped in wood glue with a small pilot hole drilled in the wall. So far nothing that I have put up in this manner has fallen off the wall but nothing has been as heavy or substantial as a shower rod. I did use this method to hold up some day/night shades and the chord tie downs at the bottom which stayed up for as long as we had that camper (our old 5th wheel).

For the shower rod Doc mentioned that Thor had recommended the toggle bolts which is why I went with that method.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.