Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2022, 07:29 PM   #8
ducksface

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
My change from
IFS and coils
To
Straight axle and leafs
On my 24.1 tightened up my turning circle by about 30 inches and it rides and handles so much better.
The whole front suspension was cut out, scrapped and replaced.

I chased irs for my offroader for years.
I had the thunderbird rear end ready To go.
I truly believe in it.
My pretty radical offroader is ifs contrary to what offroader believe in. We decided that IRS in a 6,000lb 100" wheelbase top heavy offroader would make it toss itself into a ditch every chance it got.
But they now make irs jeep kits.

I ran portals on my vw sandbuggy so I could flat axle the irs and still have the ground clearance.

That silly 'vette i have is transverse leaf spring, irs, solid diff mount, solid motor and trans mounts and the headers bolted to the frame at the collectors. Nothing moves in that drivetrain but the axles(or halfshafts or whatever the kids are calling them these days,)

I'm all for irs.
I cant find advantage in a large squirmy due to height vehicle without a huge electronic assist from hydraulics,

You'll have to look it up because I might have the model wrong
Type 151 jeep.
Marine corps made, like the mighty mite.
The 181 had irs.
Them catching a bounce and flipping upside down caused the whole batch to be cut in half and scrapped.
There's a place in Oklahoma(?) Where you can you can buy both halves and weld them back together.

Yup. I had one. One of the very few uncut ones outside of Vietnam.
it sucked, I moved on.
It's the only jeep I've ever had. I didn't put 60 miles on it. That irs really really sucked.

I would buy a marine corps mule. 4wheel steering. Everyone wants too much for me to pay to use as a ranch vehicle.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.