Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2022, 06:31 PM   #4
lspotho

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Siesta
State: California
THOR #3975
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Is the GFCI in the outlet? Or a breaker in the panel? Outlet GFCIs don't normally pop on overcurrent and there shouldn't be enough running in the MH to pop 15 amps anyway.

You have a common problem. It MAY be due to a construction fault in the MH where an errant screw has pierced the insulation on a neutral wire which wouldn't affect normal 30 amp connection/operation, but would definitely cause a ground fault when plugged into a GDCI circuit.

The other issue people find is that their MH was wired incorrectly with the neutral and ground busses bonded, which is incorrect and also causes a ground fault.

Some say the GFCI breaker in the MH causes the problem and you can open the breaker to that circuit in the MH as a work-around. That should not be the case, but if it works, it works.

The GFCI's are all in the outlets - the one I have easy access to, and a bunch of others. The panel looks like it was built when we discovered electricity.

I am aware of a GFCI socket in the bathroom of the RV, which we almost never use. Probably another behind the microwave/oven, which we never use - except to confirm we are getting electricity thru the surge protector, when we are at an RV campground.

I think I will get my electrician to put in 30 amp breaker in the panel, and a junction box right there as well, with a larger socket for the RV power cord. And a master breaker for the panel overall. And a permit from the city if necessary....

I have a appt for my RV dealer to do some mechanical service - I don't know what level of electrical expertise they have. If they understand things like: "It MAY be due to a construction fault in the MH where an errant screw has pierced the insulation on a neutral wire" or "MH was wired incorrectly with the neutral and ground busses bonded". If they do, I'll ask them to try to find and fix that...

Thanks!
Dan

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.