Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2016, 12:43 AM   #36
rangemaster728

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite 22FE
State: Oregon
THOR #3553
This is a continual subject of discussion amongst motorhome owners...

In my case, I bought a (new) 2016 Thor 22FE class C on an E450 chassis. I thought it handled OK, but I've driven alot of things...my wife was terrified to drive it (it's NOT a Honda Crosstour LOL).

The first thing I looked at was weight distribution...Ford spec says 35-40% weigh goes on the front axle...check.

Next was tire pressure...the flying monkeys at Camping World had all 6 tires set at 80 psi...wrong. A 4-corner weighing and a call to the guys at Michelin (they made the tires) yielded target pressures at 65 front, 75 rear. Handled better.

Then I looked at alignment...everything was within spec EXCEPT camber, which was way off. A good alignment (and $160 later) it improved even more...BTW, Thor reimbursed me for the alignment.

Lastly I ditched the flimsy steering stabilizer and installed a Safe-T-Plus myself, did the calibration and it improved the handling ever more...I swear I've seen bigger gas struts on a screen door closer than the stock Ford one. It's a steering stabilizer and a return-to-center device. Ran me about $380 with the bracket kit, an hour to bolt it on and about another hour to dial it in.

No...an E450(or E350) chassis will not track and feel like a quality sedan...ever. But it's much better now and the wife will drive it.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum