Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2022, 05:47 AM   #1
mcpandt

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 31s
State: Florida
THOR #19594
Replacing Flaking Chrome Mirror Arms

Here are the steps I followed to replace the flaking Velvac arm bases for the mirrors on our 2017 Windsport 31S. The replacement arm bases were not available at the Velvac web site but I was able to order from Pacific RV Mirrors website. There are several Velvac arm bases available and working with Jack (jack@pacificrvparts.com) I got the part numbers for both mirrors from the sticker on the bottom inside of the mirror housing to ensure I ordered the correct bases. Cost was $157 each and they arrived in less than a week.

This includes the arm base and the seal, if you are missing or have any damaged screw caps, they are an additional $23 for four through Pacific RV Mirrors, although I did find them available elsewhere.

On my first attempt I tried removing the mirror head and pulling the cables through the base arm. That did not work because the opening is too tight to easily pull the connectors through and I was afraid I would damage them and create more work for myself. It is much easier to remove the entire assembly. Even with the bad start, I had both mirrors off within 40 minutes.

First step is to remove the 4 screw caps, exposing the Phillips screws holding the base arm to the body of the coach. It is important to use the smallest flat head screwdriver you have to get leverage on the cap and avoid damaging the chrome on the cap. If you damage the cap you will be looking at $23 for four replacement caps.

Next remove the 4 Phillips screws. I used the screwdriver to loosen then the drill to remove them. At this point the mirror will still stay attached to the coach as long as the caulk around it is still in good condition. Cut away the caulk using the razor knife, and you will be able to pull the mirror free from the coach. The cables will still be connected to the mirror. You’ll need to remove all excess caulk before you re-install.

At this point it will be helpful to have a second set of hand to assist. Or you might want a 5 foot step ladder to set the mirror on to ensure you do not drop it while you are disconnecting the cables. Remove the seal from the base of the mirror (it’s glued but will tear away) and you will be able to reach into the base arm to disconnect the video and electric connections. On mine I also had to remove a zip tie that was securing the video cable to the base arm.

Once the cables have been disconnected you can use an allen wrench to disconnect the mirror head from the base arm by loosening the 3 set screws. The screws go into a half collar that allows the mirror to turn. The opening of the arm is a little tight, but you should be able to push the connectors through as you remove the mirror, rather than pulling and potentially damaging the connectors.

To install the new base arms, I first tried connecting them to the mirror and then installing the entire assembly on the coach. This didn’t work as the video and electric cables from the mirror were too short for me to make the connection to the coach cables, so I removed the mirrors from the base arms.

Instead, install the base arm to the coach by feeding the cables through the rubber seal and then up through the neck of the base arm. Reconnect the zip tie on the video cable to the base arm but make sure to leave enough excess cable to connect the mirror. The sticky side of the seal faces out, toward the arm and at this point remove the paper and stick it to the base arm. The re-installation took about 2 hours, including removing the old caulk.

At this point attach the base arm to the coach using the original screws, and connect the cables to the mirror. This is another good time for an extra pair of hands to hold the mirror while you check to ensure the camera and electric mirror are working. Installing the mirror is a little tricky. First work the connectors down the opening of the base arm. It’s tight, but they must be far enough in for the mirror to fully seat, and the half collar must be seated into the slot on the mirror neck or the mirror will not seat properly.

Tighten the set screws, realign the mirrors, and install the caps over the screws. Reapply the caulk to the base arm, there is a drip hole at the bottom so be sure to leave this clear.

Sorry for the excessive detail but I wanted to point out all of the gotchas, hopefully if you are considering replacing yours, you’ll know what you’re in for.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.