Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2022, 04:27 PM   #16
Beau388

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Specs in picture above with two different lines for “Dual Roof Air Conditioners” are obviously wrong, but if combined, they probably meant that it’s optional for 29M and standard for all others, including 31C. Should be simple mistake and confirmed by fact that 29M is only floor plan that offers a single air conditioner.

However, what is very interesting, unless it’s also a typo or mistake, is that on 31C Thor specs specifically state the 31C has a 4,000-Watt Onan generator but also a 50-Amp Detachable Shoreline Power Cord.

If correct, that is the first time I have seen a manufacturer combine 50-Amp service with a 4,000-Watt generator. Again, if correct, it makes a lot of sense to me for various reasons, and would give Thor credit for efficient engineering.

The advantage of smaller generator is lower weight, less cost, and fuel efficiency, so you get that anyway. But for very little added cost and weight, upgrading motorhome from 30-Amp to 50-Amp (50A cord plus larger panel which doesn’t add much cost or weight) would allow using both A/Cs and everything else while on shore power at campgrounds, and that’s where most campers get their power, not from generators.

For the (relatively) few times generators get used, like battery charging or powering one A/C at night for sleeping, a 4,000-Watt is more fuel efficient. And if you have to power both A/Cs due to heat, it still works with minor inconvenience.

I hope it’s not a typo because 50A electrical service would be a low-cost upgrade if done from factory (maybe < $200) that adds a lot of value while on shore power.

MHSRV has the 29M and 31C Hurricanes in stock. Both have dual A/Cs. I did not check, but I suspect they have the 11,000 BTU A/Cs. I have a Hurricane 31S with 50 amps service and a Onan KY 4000 watt generator. The A/C are the Coleman Mach 15 up front and a Coleman 13.500 BTU Mach 8 heat pump in the bedroom. The total load with both A/Cs running is 31 amps. I have never found the need to run both A/Cs when on the road; and since we do not dry camp when the temps are above 85 degrees, the 33 amps output of the KY is sufficient for our needs.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.