Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2022, 10:37 PM   #16
TLeenhouts

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 32R
State: South Carolina
THOR #17209
genny hookup

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Last winter during the Great Texas Freeze, I hooked up my Portable 3500 KW generator to our home Connecticut Electric 7500 watt Transfer Switch. It proved to be very valuable to us. However; as I only had a 3500 watt generator at the time of the original install, I did not include the pool equipment (20 amp breaker) in one of the 4 available 20 amp breakers on my home transfer switch. As a result, I watched my pool, pool heater, and pool pumps freeze as there was nothing I could do.

We keep our RV at home and it has 5500 Onan. If I had a L14-30R inside my electrical bay, I could have connected my RV Genny to the House Transfer Switch. If I am successful with getting the L14 - 30R above in the RV, I will rewire one of my existing 20amp circuits to supply backup power to the pool equipment. I will then use the RV to genny to supply the house and retire my 12 year old 23500 genny.

My question is how hard is that to do or should I have a Dealer install?

I have ordered the below receptacle, to get things started even if I can't do myself.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07P8CGH52...t_details&th=1

My genny has two 30amp breakers, the L14-30R requires 4 wires (2 hot Red & Black) to go over 3750 watts. How do I select which of two 30 amps breakers to use, or is it just only 4 wires coming out of the generator period?

I am thinking I will need a junction box for the feed from generator that goes to the receptacle I ordered, and a line out that goes to the RV Automatic Transfer Switch?

Or should I look to wire it some other way, have an electrician do, or just not attempt to do at all?
Your motorhome generator only puts out 120 VAC, not 220 as would be needed for your transfer switch input. Be veerrry careful not to toast your generator.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum