Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2022, 08:52 PM   #42
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Not only is the rear window a "is it there or isn't it" feature, apparently the type of fridge is as well.

In the pictures above for the one in Tucson there is no venting for the Refer indicating a compressor fridge. Here is a Vegas in Maryland that has venting for the fridge...absorption fridge on this guy:
https://www.leosrv.com/product/new-2...w-website-link

The specs also indicate a 6-gal water heater...going back to a tank water heater I see.

Great observation.

I like that specs do not commit either way on fridge, leaving either propane or compressor a possibility for now.

For our kind of travel (more touring than stationary camping) a compressor refrigerator makes a lot of sense, particularly since we overnight in campgrounds most of the time. Having said that, campers who boondock on a regular basis, particularly for multiple nights in one site/location, have expressed dissatisfaction with compressor refrigeration using too much of their battery capacity.

Compressor refrigerators work much better on latest motorhomes with high-capacity electrical systems, and Axis/Vegas doesn’t offer that yet. Maybe someday.

With 600 Ah lithium, second dedicated alternator, lots of solar, etc. powering an efficient compressor fridge shouldn’t be a big deal, but with only two regular flooded batteries and slow charging, I can see that being a problem for many boondockers, forcing them into significant generator run time (unless they add lots of solar and park in sun). There isn’t much middle ground to make compressor fridge work easily with such limited battery capacity.

6-gallon water heater would be my preference over tankless. I don’t foresee taking very long showers in an RV. Boondocking we would run out of water or grey capacity, and at campgrounds we normally use their bathrooms. That could change in future, but think 6 gallons is plenty for us even then.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.