Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Thread: Sumo Springs
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2022, 12:52 AM   #13
Beau388

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntrinh15 View Post
I noticed the price difference. I really wonder if its worth the extra money for the sumo spring’s . Thats why im really interested in knowing if its worth it. I appreciate all the input I’ve received so far.
Properly installed the Sumo Maxums take about a 1,000 lbs from the leaf spring on each side of the front and 2,200 lbs each in the rear in the rear. This raises my coach about 1". As they replace the bump stops, the provide a gradual increase in stiffness rather the bang when the coach's leaf springs bottom against the stock Ford bump stops.

This different from an anti-roll bar which transfers some wheel load from the outside tire inside of a turn to the inside tire of the turn tire in to keep the coach upright. This is said to increase the roll stiffness of the coach. The increase is proportional to the bars effective length, its torsional stiffness (diameter and hardness) and the effective length of the arms attaching the bar to axle center-line.
Sumo springs can only transfer a very small wheel load as they stretch but only act a progressive additional spring adding to the leaf springs linear spring rate. The ride is somewhat different but the effect is the same if the Sumo and anti-roll bar stiffness is selected to suit the coach's owner.
Your results may vary!
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.