Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 05-05-2016, 11:02 PM   #1
Fgianni

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 29.3
State: Massachusetts
THOR #2125
Angry Goodyear G670 RV tires

After many months of frustrating attempts to resolve a shimmy/vibration in my ACE 29.3 2015 unit , I decided to find an independent mechanic and take my the ACE out for a test drive. The mechanic notice that their is a bouncing feel to the unit at 30-40 mph which seemed to diminish once we hit highway speeds of 65 or so.
The mechanic inspected the alignment and found it to be good. He measured the rims and found nothing out off balance or bent.
The mechanic who is quite knowledgeable about RV units felt that the issue was most likely the tires. In fact what he discovered and that the tires are out of around by more than ninety thousands of an inch . According to the mechanic the acceptable range is 10- to 15 thousands .
The small Video is attached for all to see shows, the wobble or uneven spinning of the tire . This is what is causing the vibration/shimmy that I have previously described .
In this certified mechanics opinion the other 4 rear tires would have the same variance in out of roundness. His recommendation and professional opinion is that the Good year tires need to be replaced. He has seen this in many of his inspections on many motor homes . His recommendation is that these tires be replaced with Michelin tires. The mechanic also noted that the unit did not need any aftermarket upgrades to improve the vehicles handling.

If this is not done overtime the vibration will eventually loosen much of the front end components inside and out side the unit. The rattle
in the dash that I have experienced and you have tried to eliminate on your last attempt to resolve this problem is a direct result of the tires being out of round. If this issue is not resolved then many warranty issues will eventually rear there ugly head.
Waiting to hear from Thor . The RV dealership wiped his hands of the situation. Typical pass the buck
Attached Files

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum