Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2016, 11:26 PM   #8
samven

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 22E
State: West Virginia
THOR #3119
I can think of a couple reasons why you are seeing so much condensation but none of them would explain 2 different situations. The time in Aug. If you had been running the AC and cooled the RV down, when you got ready to leave you would have shut the AC off and probably had the door open going in and out to pack up. The cold glass hit by the warm humid air would fog up and depending on how humid it was would start dripping. I get this every once in a while in the car when the AC has been on for a long trip and open the door at a gas station and every window in the car fogs up so badly I have to wipe them down to drive.
I can not explain the cool weather incident unless the defrosters or heat was on when you started the engine. If you smell a slightly sweet odour and the air from the vents feels humid, that will cause it and in that case you need to have your cooling system checked for leaks, particularly the heating coil, usually under the dash. I had a car that had a loose clamp on the heater and anytime the heat was on the humidity would fog the windows until the clamp let go and the radiator drained onto the passenger side floor.
As for leak testing the RV, that can be difficult because most RV's have a double wall and you can flood the outside with a hose but unless the leak is tremendous the water usually sets between the walls and does its damage slowly only showing itself as a water stain on the ceiling or rotten wood and mould smells. I would get on the roof and crawl around and examine every joint looking for anything like missing or loose chalk. Check the top and sides of all you windows and vents. My kitchen fan vent did not have any chalk on top and I did not notice it until I was sitting inside during a down pour and heard dripping inside. I could not locate it because it was dripping up inside the range hood, until the area filled up and it came pouring down the wall and across the counter. I had to put duck tape over it that night until the rain stopped and bought some chalk the next day and fixed it properly.
Make sure that the slits in the bottom of the window frames are on the outside and are clear. They are your drains and I have heard of the frames being installed inside out and the rain fills the frame and runs inside and out the drains on the wrong side of the wall.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum