Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 05-05-2022, 10:39 PM   #54
lwmcguir

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Well if anyone is curious we did end up picking up one of these guys. Put a deposit down on it back in January and it finally showed up last Friday. Took a look at it that day then picked it up this past Tuesday.

The ride difference between dropping off our 2014 24.1 and driving home the 2022 24.4 is amazing (not sure that was 8 years of improvements, just brand new vs 8 years old, or E350 vs E450--likely some combination of all). Can already tell the V8 will get better mileage than the V-10 and someone at Thor figured out how to sound insulate these guys--we can actually carry on a conversation at speed now! The unit drives and feels a lot more solid than our 2014 was (again could just be 8 years of rough roads on the old coach).

This one had a few options on it (it was a dealer order that we reserved): power drivers seat, 100W solar, tank heaters and some minor stuff.

So far we love the floorplan--the big test is yet to come: have to actually, you know, camp in the darn thing LOL.

Some minor issues and one that just points out that someone left early one day LOL.

Ok quick pic:
Attachment 37304

Now for the humorous Thor story. I mentioned that the unit has a 100W solar panel on the roof. At delivery we couldn't find the charge controller and the dealer delivery guy just said "meh sometimes the wire them straight to the battery!?" I was all "WTF?" about that but sure just let me have my coach.

We get it home and I start looking around, measuring voltages etc. (voltage at the battery with everything turned off). Solar appears to be working but cannot find the controller. (By the way the new Thor owner page with all the downloads contains TONS of stuff and that schematic document wow.)

Start an e-mail conversation with Thor with the question of "Solar looks like its working but how can it since I don't have a controller?" (Of course you know where all this is heading...) Back and forth with Thor (to their credit they were very responsive answering my e-mails within less than an hour) them telling me "walk around and send pictures so we can try to help you find it"...

I finally open up a panel at the bottom of the kitchen cabinets (another cool touch: They have panels easily removable just held on with the drawer holds instead of screws all you do is pull it off. There is one to get access to the water pump). Looking around below stuff and looky what I find:
Attachment 37302
Yup that is the solar controller which was supposed to be mounted in an accessible space but nope here it is buried and providing accent lighting for any stray mice that decide to go in here.

Edit: No rear window, and no ladder.
Very nice rig

You will definitely enjoy it!

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum