Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2022, 01:08 PM   #62
JamieGeek
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post
I drive in the low to mid 60s on interstates and about 55 on twisty, hilly secondary roads. I do not use cruise control and back off the throttle going uphill and accelerate going down.

The sticker below the driver's window says it is axle 52 which is a 4.10 ratio. The 24.1 is built on an E350 stripped chassis with the so-called economy engine of 300 hp. FWIW I have never felt short on hp driving the coach. Not surprising as the 350 hp engine pulls F53 based MHs with double the weight.

Yes, I probably only have 5-10 hours on the generator over a year and all were to keep it lubed and loosened up, not to run the A/C. And I don't tow.

But others like JamieGeek have reported getting 11 mpg on the 24.1 with the V10. I can believe that two fewer cylinders, lower operating speed as a result of a taller gear ratio and better injection all add up to a 10% improvement

And my fill to fill mpg is usually within 0.5 mph of the dash indicator which showed 13.5 mpg for 10 miles of flat interstate driving after a fill up and zeroing the indicator.

David

David
Two fewer cylinders but more displacement: 6.8L V-10 vs 7.3L V-8. A VIN decoder shows my rear as 4.56 (its back at the storage lot so I can't just go and look at the moment).

My "already tell" reaction was a bit premature I'm sure as it was simply based on the trip meter's average mpg for the 20ish mile drive home showing around 13mpg. That trip was on a busy highway which limited my speed and slightly downhill.

We did take it camping this past weekend and that round trip was showing about 10 mpg on the trip meter for about 200 miles. This also included about 50% of travel going 70 or 75 mph. Still quieter and handles better than the 2014 did. Of course there are only about 400 miles on it so far--we'll see if it gets any better like the V-10s do after a few thousand miles.

We found the murphy bed more comfortable than expected--I guess it pays to have low expectations to begin with? LOL

A few quirks and things that needed repairing (as usual for a new coach): some stripped screws, leaking plumbing, etc.

The sewer outlet on this one does NOT rotate--its basically slightly downhill and the hole/hatch for the outlet did not let my 90 elbow connect up. Thus I had a puzzler to get connected at the campground. (If you do get a new coach try this at the dealer or at home before going camping! Didn't even cross my mind until hooking up at a campsite--remember kiddos "Test EVERYTHING at the dealer" LOL)

While camping I ordered a 45 elbow (Amazon) that showed up as we got home. It works perfectly.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum