Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2022, 12:59 AM   #5
outro702

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Nevada
THOR #26778
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post
Given that you have a 2014 coach, I suspect you have the older BIRD/Trombetta relay device that connects the two battery systems when voltages are right as well as provides aux start capability. You can neither wire the DC2DC in parallel or in series with the BIRD and it must be replaced entirely with the DC2DC.

You will lose the aux start capability and the ability to charge the chassis batteries from the coach DC system when you do this. There are ways of adding switches to recover these capabilities.

My 2021 Axis 24.1 has the newer Precision Circuits BIM 160 installed under the hood in front of the driver's side wheel well. Don't know where yours might be.

I would first install the LFP batteries without the DC2DC charger and see how it works. One big concern is that the new batteries will pull too much current for the chassis alternator, but the wiring size may limit that. Check the current with a DC clamp on ammeter and the case temp with an IR gun with the batteries well discharged. You should keep it below 60 amps and 200 F case temp.

It won't charge optimally that way, but it may be good enough if the current and temp aren't too much.

David
BTW, I know for sure that dropping in the lithium batteries without DC-to-DC charger in place will definitely kill the alternator eventually.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.