Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 05-28-2022, 02:14 PM   #20
dkoldman

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Revised List, based on feedback from Chance

Since the OP is seeking input and suggestions the list is fair game. If by Chance it is okay, I would like to offer prospective and my view of my 30' RV using Chance's list.

1. Park at home - No Gain, I park my 30 footer at home
2. Use as Daily Driver - Gain, It is advantageous to drive a Class B daily than a Class C or A although in my personal case we drive our RV as SUV and have made every trip in the last 3 years without our Lincoln Navigator. In fact, we have delayed the purchase of new Navigator so it could be huge financial windfall
3. Doubled fuel economy - Gain - I assume the Class B gets 17 miles / per gallon or more
4. Much easier to service and maintain - No Gain, in many ways in my model it is easier to access all things that require service, short adding oil to the engine
5. Park anywhere - Gain, But I have never had this limitation or concern unless driving downtown of large city like Dallas / Denver. I think if I had a 24' RV I would have the same concern in same situation, but since technically you can get into more spaces with a 24 footer than a 30 footer, I will yield to a Class B. I really think it is in eye of the driver. I pull in and out of a McDonalds that my brother will park his Class B down the road and walk.
6. Drive places large motorhomes can not - No Gain unless you are talking about parking which I covered in #5
7. Easier to drive - Gain This is actually a function for #2 which makes #2 a derived duplicate. It is advantageous to drive a Class B daily than a Class C or A. But for use as both were designed or intended for me, it is no different than when I ride my Harley Classic Ultra Limited versus my Yamaha V Star 950. But I get the novice looking at them both and assuming the smaller bike is easier to ride. But in this context of the way the benefit is listed, I would agree that it is easier to learn on the Yamaha 950 and similarly easier for Class B over Class C or A although in my personal case we have a normal 6hr 30 min trip to visit my mom's house that we make about 8 times / per year. It takes about 6hr 45 min now and the increase is mainly due to longer time it takes to get gas. I am actually more comfortable in 30 footer, as I have better seat, larger window, electronic blinds, full rear view camera and side cameras, with a full snack table to my right. If I have to use restroom, it is as simple as next exit, park anywhere, do my business and hop back on the road.
8. Requires less trip planning - No Gain For me Planning is typing or speaking my destinations into Waze and I am OMW (on my way) I am still waiting to find that bridge that is less than 12 ft tall? I am sure if one exist, there ought to be a million signs that it is coming up. Besides if I see trucks, I am good.
9. Don’t require toad - No Gain We don't require a toad. We had a SRX that was 4 wheel towable, but just did not see the benefit for how we travel so we sold it. Thus far we have never had to tow anything with RV. But if I needed to, I could, which I see as benefit.
10. Quieter - Gain I gonna assume this to be true because I know my Navigator is quieter than the RV. But I would think noises that may come from microwave, oven and rv window screens would be common.
11. Fits in any campsite - Gain This is what you might call a Fact Jack
12. Easier to wash - Gain This is what you might call a Fact Jack
13. Full body paint standard - Gain This is what you might call a Fact Jack
14. Lower overall cost - No Gain maybe I don't follow, but when I was looking the Class Bs were always significantly more expensive than any of Class Cs or small Class As?
15. Fewer/no leaks - No Gain, I have not had a leak in my RV; so I wouldn't see this on my list of things to look for when purchasing any RV. But if the argument is.... if you buy a smaller house you have less chances of getting a leak, I will concede this to say a gain?
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum