Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 05-28-2022, 08:43 PM   #8
chunker21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
Gritz’s Chateau Super C May be a bit better insulated than my SV34. Some areas in my coach do get pretty warm to touch…. and putting that huge piece of glass in the can-over may have been one of the all-time stupid design moves.

I would bet the house your unit will be no better than my 2020 SV34…. possibly not even as good if there has been no change in the COVID quality and workmanship that was bad enough in pre-COVID times when I got my SV34 in October 2019.

Here are my recommendations for the best cooling in the Omni / Magnitude. I would do these things even if you upgrade to the 15K units.

1. Purchase the WeatherTech Full Cab Sunshade for the windshield and the cab door windows.

2. Purchase Frost King Adhesive Duct Insulation and then get on the roof, take off both covers and insulate the evaporator box completely. If you think you need / want a SoftStart to run both A/C’s off 30A for some reason, install those before insulating the two units.

3. Get a long, thin and sharp serrated saw and take off all of the A/C vent covers around the coach. Then use the saw to smooth the insulation in the ceiling for better airflow. Use a shop vac to suck up as much as the loose insulation and construction debris in the openings as possible. You also may want to use some spray foam insulation in the two front and two rear vents to prevent cold air being pushed into the ceiling over the front and rear cap.

4. Remove the covers from both units in the ceiling and make sure the divider block is centered. Then use good quality duct tape to seal around the divider to keep the cold exhaust air from being sucked into the warm air return.

5. On the hottest days keep all the shades down. Keep the curtains closed at the can-over bunk because the cab-over is a very large heat source from the window and poor insulation. Make sure the WeatherTech Sun Shade is installed (sliver side out):

6. Don’t believe the thermostat temperature readings. Use how it “feels” and a digital thermometer in the center of the coach. The two temperature sensors are foolishly placed under the cabinets almost aginst the walls. They may read temps 5 - 10 degrees higher than the actual temps in the coach. For example, last year in Nashville the air temps wete in the mid-90’s with high humidity. The sun was beating on the side of the coach where the temperature sensors were installed. The thermostat read 80 inside the coach but I could tell it was much cooler from the feel. I put my digital thermometer on the kitchen counter and it read 69 degrees.

7. Never open the shade to the cab-over window. It will allow sun to overheat the coach. I also never open it because several people have had the motor or track fail and then the shade is stuck open. I had a motor fail just as I dropped the coach off for warranty work at the Thor Factory Service Center in Wakarusa. I’ll never open it again.

Do all those things and the A/C’s can usually keep up ok. They may never shut off but they will keep the coach reasonably cool on hot and humid days.
To add to judges list, start the A/C early and leave on. If you are gone during the day, leave them on. It's much easier to try to maintain temperature that try to lower it.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum