Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2022, 09:59 AM   #9
Judge

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
Is there a youtibe link vedio showing exactly what box to cover?

Purchase Frost King Adhesive Duct Insulation and then get on the roof, take off both covers and insulate the evaporator box completely. If you think you need / want a SoftStart to run both A/C’s off 30A for some reason, install those before insulating the two units.

I didn’t creat a video but it’s pretty easy.

If you have a Coleman Mach A/C unit on the top of the roof there will be a plastic cover (roughly square) that is brown, white or black. Remove the cover after removing the four screws.

Once the cover is removed there is basically two sides to the A/C. One side has a fan and the condensor. The condesor has a honeycomb of cooling fins. By the way…. as part of your annual maintenance you should use some spray foaming cleaner on the condensor and then hose it off to remove any dirt, dead bugs, etc. so air can flow through it freely.

On the other side you will see a silver metal box. This is where the evaporator is located. There will also be some wires running inside of it (there is an access panel near the wires on the side where a SoftStart can be installed).

You then take the roll of the Frost King Insulation and start covering the metal enclosure/ box. I started to unroll the insulation and stuck one end on a flat surface and unrolled itnto the end of the other side. Then I would use scissors to cut it and start again until the entire box was covered. You’ll have to cut some small pieces to cover some parts of the box.

I also used a small piece of pipe insulation to cover the large tube running from the compressor to the evaporator.

This helps keep the cold insulated from the roof heat so it can cool as efficiently as possible.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.