Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 05-20-2016, 05:59 PM   #9
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Just to wrap up on my input:
Yeah I never use a 15A extension chord to plug in the RV. Always use the RV's 30A one with the small 15A converter right at the end.

I happened to be looking at our build list for our RV earlier and noticed that we have the smaller A/C unit. Your results may vary if you have the 15k unit instead of the 13.5k one.
I agree it's good to check. That's why I make it a point to mention that not all air conditioners are the same; not even when they are the same size. Operating conditions also affect actual power requirements, so that too should be considered.

I'm not sure what brand or model air conditioners Thor installs, but it's likely not the more expensive high-efficiency units, at least not on lower-cost motorhomes.

Attached we can see that even a 13.5k air conditioner can pull over 15 Amps, and when running under warmer conditions and lower voltage, current goes up considerably from there. It starts at 15.3 Amps and could approach 20 Amps under severe service conditions (warmer and lower voltage).

A 15k air conditioner that is not high efficiency could trip a 15-Amp breaker on a warm day easily. It pays to check details.

It'd be nice to be able to order high-efficiency air conditioners as options if not already included.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	233.8 KB
ID:	2033  

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum