Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 05-20-2016, 11:38 PM   #22
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Grump View Post
Reflecting is one method but there are other methods of dealing with heat energy such as chemical reactions and adsorption.
From my perspective, on a practical basis there will be a combination of three things that will happen. Solar energy can pass through film, be absorbed at film, or be reflected by film. While solar energy can theoretically cause a chemical reaction, or can be partially converted to electricity, I don't see how that's going to apply here on a steady-state basis.

The more energy is reflected towards outside of vehicle, the cooler the inside should stay. Partial absorption at film will become heat which will warm glass enough to then transfer the heat to inside and outside air (a combination depending on relative temperatures and heat transfer rates). The worst case scenario is energy passing through glass and film, and being absorbed by surfaces inside motorhome. In that case nearly 100% of solar energy will have to be removed by air conditioner.

I'd like to learn if I'm missing how this film works. As stated before, up to 60 percent total rejection (upper limit reported by 3M) is pretty good. If I was going to keep my van for a couple of years, I'd try the film on a side window to test it. Reducing solar heat by +/- 50% would be great.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum