Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 06-19-2022, 12:06 AM   #1
hikerjohn7

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #12281
Steering Wheel Drift

Not being as attentive in extremely heavy I-95 traffic as I should have been, I got myself into a situation where I had to slam on the breaks to avoid plowing into cars ahead of me that came to a sudden stop from a busy on-ramp. In my defense, I would like to point out that I was startled and distracted by a semi that screamed by me and swerved over into my lane at the ramp.

I thought for sure I was going to crunch several cars. But, to my relief, I was able to stop my 36 foot 2017 Jayco Precept, class A motorhome with a Honda CRV toad on the back in a surprisingly quickly so that I didn't hit anyone. And I was thankful I had a good toad breaking system. I was also thankful for my co-pilot's (wife's) loud scream.

But, to get to the subject of this post... my problem now is that I notice my steering wheel is no longer properly aligned. I have to turn it about 10 degrees clockwise to keep RV going straight down the highway although, there is no detectable play in the steering. I drove home for about 250 miles like that and experienced no visible irregular wear on my new front tires.

Has anyone else out there experienced their steering wheel getting off center like this? If so, do you know what can cause it?

I am thinking it could be that the breaking was so severe that it slid the front axial cross beam backwards on the driver side leaf spring where it's attached with U bolts to the spring. That would effectively pull the attaching arm to the steering gear box backwards making my steering wheel reposition in a clockwise direction.

Whatever the case, I will be taking the rig in for front wheel re-alignment next week. Hopefully it can be corrected without any permanent misalignment in my steering system.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum