Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2022, 05:49 PM   #9
hikerjohn7

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #12281
Steering Gearbox Spline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
The adjustment is unusual because this model chassis only has one adjustable tie rod end. The official Ford procedure is to remove the steering box and shim it as needed to center the steering wheel. Of course the alignment will need to be adjusted too. BUT, there actually is an easy DIY adjustment you can do. The steering column is attached to the steering box on a splined shaft and held by a single pinch bolt. Just remove the bolt, pull the shaft off and reposition it. There are 36 splines so a one spline adjustment will give you 10 degrees. Making the job even easier….you’ll find that there is enough room in the wheel well to sit up and work conveniently. I do not know why Ford doesn’t tell you about this. It’s simple and effective.
Yes, and thanks for confirming my theory. I got under the RV and saw that spine you described and was thinking that would be a way to realign my steering wheel. I am not sure I want to take it on myself, however, since that is one heck of a big pinch bolt. But maybe I will ask my favorite mechanic how much he would charge. My estimate, too, is that it would not affect the recent frontend alignment I just had done. Do you agree?

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum