Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 06-27-2022, 04:00 PM   #4
ElectricZ

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 25.4
State: Texas
THOR #26120
Follow-up after a week's use. The portable sunshade works great, is easy to set up and take down once you get used to it. I only had a couple times during the week when a suction cup failed and had to be re-applied, and that was with a *lot* of wind. As I mentioned in the first post it's ALMOST perfect sized, but I always ended up with a small gap at the bottom, but it was hardly an issue.

Some tips for anybody who picks it up.

1. Make sure you have a good ladder tall enough to help you reach the top of the windshield. It's tough to reach the ones in the middle and you definitely don't want to have to lean against the windshield for support.

2. I attached all of the suction cups at the top, put one each on the side, and only the bottom corners. I tucked the bottom beneath the windshield wipers.

3. Carry a wet rag with you as you so you can wipe the spot on the windshield where you are placing the cups and the cups themself as you apply them.

4. The suction cups are made of cheap plastic and if you unscrew them all the way they fall apart into three pieces that bounce in all directions. It took a little practice, but I got to where I could unscrew them without going too far.

5. The screw mechanism actually works pretty well. You tighten the knob onto thee screw and it draws the suction cup into a plastic collar, allowing it to hold. You unscrew it to release the suction. So back out the screw most of the way to flatten out the cup, apply the cup and then tighten it to create a strong hold.

6. To release, unscrew the the knob almost all the way. If the cup doesn't come off, use your fingernail to break the hold - again you have to get used to how far to go before the knob falls off and you're chasing the pieces.

7. Finally, the cups themselves and the screw assembly are plastic and feel pretty cheap, so I don't know how long they'll last long term. By only using them at the top and corners, that leaves about six to spare so that's nice. Amazon also sells this type of suction cup in packs of 12 that should work as replacements.

All and all, I'm super happy with how well it worked during a very hot and windy week in Texas. It got over 100 every day and without this sunshade the cab area was just unbearable, even with the powered shade down.

Well worth the money.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.