Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2022, 01:40 AM   #14
hikerjohn7

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #12281
Steering Wheel Misalignnent

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDustyGeek View Post
My previous rig was on a 2017 F53 24K chassis and came from the factory with the steering wheel cocked to the left far enough it was interfering with the turn signal shutoff. Making this adjustment, it brought it almost centered (ever so slightly to the right) and had no effect on anything aside from making the steering wheel aligned with the direction of travel. I drove it like that for four years with no issue (probably 20K miles) before we swapped it for our current rig.

On top of the steering box, I removed the bolt, lifted the coupler off the splined shaft, had one of my boys center the steering wheel for me, then slid the coupler back onto the splined shaft. I used some thread locker on the bolt, since that's the last thing I want falling out while driving.
Thanks for the info.

And, yes, I heard about that method and I might try it. My current misalignment is not much so I may also just decide to live with it.

What I don't understand is why my heavy breaking incident caused it. And I am pretty sure it did since I think I remember the wheel being straight before the incident.

But since I had the alignment re-checked and it was pretty good, I am thinking something either slipped or bent slightly and the change, though possibly small, is being amplified by the complexity of the steering linkages. Whatever it was it must have been very slight because no one can detect any damaged or bent components in the linkages.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.