Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2022, 02:31 AM   #7
16ACE27
Site Team

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
I've been researching an upgrade to our RV power system. I'm still not sure what I want to do, after a visit to the local RV shop I'm in some sticker shock.
Unfortunately, lots of components will give you "sticker shock" today as compared to a year or 2 ago.

My system is a work in progress. My house batteries were brand new when I bought the coach so I milked them for 5 years of use. They're still good, one's the starter battery in my boat right now.

I started with a 2KW PSW inverter powered by 4 gauge wire through a 150 amp DC breaker. It is attached to a 15 amp Xantrex ATS to my TV outlet 120 VAC string which also has my network equipment on it.

I have a Renogy 500A Battery Monitor with shunt for my house batteries so I always know how much is going in/out and what their actual capacity is.

I have a simple voltage/current monitor on the dash for my chassis battery/alternator. It uses a Hall Effect Sensor Transformer for the current.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01JIK8J3C/

I recently replaced my house batteries with two 100 AH LiFePO4 batteries. Using the stock converter to charge them only keeps them charged to 68% to 80% capacity due to the FLA charging profile. This is fine when the MH is not being used but to get them to 100% before boondocking I installed a 20 amp charger in the battery bay which is controlled by a remote switch in the MH. At the push of a button I can allow this charger to pump them up to 100%. Much cheaper than buying a new converter with a Li charging profile.

But, if the house batteries are low they can stress the alternator to charge them through the BIRD/Trombetta so I installed a switch inside the MH and wired it to the Trombetta control wire to disable it if the house batteries are too low when driving, or when the house batteries are too high when stored: the BIRD will see the higher Li battery voltage as charging and keep the house and chassis batteries connected when they shouldn't be - so I can manually control that instead of replacing the BIRD/Trombetta with a Li-BIM at this point.

The Li-BIM will probably be the next step, and a Li converter after that.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.